How I Pray for Middle East Peace
By Shira Sorko-Ram
Many of you have written asking to about the ramifications of Trump’s proposed peace plan and how to pray for this situation.
US President Donald Trump has unveiled the US Middle East peace plan known as the “Deal of the Century.” Trump told reporters aboard Air Force One on his way to Miami to participate in a political event, that the Palestinians might initially react negatively to his plan, but made it clear that it would benefit them. “It is a great plan, it is a plan that will actually succeed,” Trump added.
While Israelis inherently like to hope against hope, I don’t think anyone in Israel actually expects Palestinian President Abbas to approve this plan for several reasons:
The first, is that Abbas and his government make their living off of the plight of the “Poor Palestinian.” If this issue was resolved and jobs became available and trade was normalized between both states, Abbas’ government would have to take responsibility for their people, rather than be able to blame Israel for everything.
Second, the entire Palestinian leadership has become unified around the central theme of replacing Israel, not living alongside it. This is why the “right of return” is so important to them. With this plan that cancels any option for right of return, they would be conceding to live in peace alongside a people they feel should not exist.
Third, they would be required to stop paying families of Palestinians who have committed acts of terrorism and this would cause a rift between them, the terrorists’ families who depend on these payments and other terrorist groups who would have a harder time recruiting new terrorists.
Here is how I pray.
- Father, you spoke clearly about Your displeasure of those who would dare divide Your land. With all the good intentions out there, we ask for a wisdom that is beyond our understanding in regards to moving ahead with this plan.
- We pray for a solution to this situation that would please You – a peace in the Middle East that would establish You as the only answer.
- Father, this deal is only a deal if You are in it. We know many Christians and Messianic Jews have pushed behind the scenes for this deal to contain Biblical principles in it. Continue to let their voice be heard.
- We ask that what parts of this deal should be of man’s making, that they would be canceled.
- If it is not Your plan, continue to harden the hearts of Palestinian leaders to reject it.
- We pray that of everyday Palestinian Arabs who want a real peace, that their voice would overrule their leaders.
- Above all we desire for Your name alone be glorified on the Temple Mount. And that no other gods would be exaltedon this sacred plot of land which You chose for Your presence to dwell.
- Today and every day, a foreign God is being worshipped on Your holy mountain. Even with this peace plan, this would continue. There is no easy human solution to this issue. Only You can free this mountain and make it Holy unto You once again.