God’s Healing Delivery Systems
by James Goll
God wants us to be well! But, God has more than one assembly line available to Him by which He delivers the finished product. Obviously, conditions must be met in order to receive from the Lord. A knowledge of the Father’s love, faith in the completed work of the Cross of Christ, and patient abiding in the Word of God are but a few of these essentials.
In some situations, we try to “box God in” on how He will heal us. God has various means to utilize, to restore, or to bring us to proper health. Ignorance, unbelief, prejudices, and presumptive thinking are blockades that must be removed for the stream of God’s healing power to flow to and through us.
II Kings 5:1-14 tells us of the preconceived ideas Naaman, the leprous and valiant warrior, had concerning “how God through the prophet would heal him.” Verse 11 states, “But Naaman was furious and went away and said, ‘Behold, I thought, “He will surely come out to me and stand and call on the name of the LORD his God, and wave his hand over the place and cure the leper.”‘” The directions given by Elisha were to the contrary though. “Go and wash in the Jordan seven times, and your flesh shall be restored to you, and you shall be clean.”
Due to Naaman’s preconceived ideas and his prideful and prejudiced ways of thinking, he almost missed out on the very thing he was seeking—cleansing, healing, and restoration. Naaman turned away in rage (verse 12), but his faithful servants prevailed upon him to go and wash himself in the Jordan River. As Naaman humbled himself and did the little act of foolish obedience, his flesh was restored like the flesh of a little child and he was made clean (see II Kings 5:14).
Let us also drop our prejudiced, prideful ways of thinking, humble ourselves, and receive as a little child!
Three Channels of Healing Love
The highest form, other than the climactic resurrection of the dead and receiving our “glorified bodies,” is Divine Health.
3 John 2:1 states, “Beloved, I pray that in all respects you may prosper and be in good health, just as your soul prospers.” Good health is the mark we all desire.
In God’s healing delivery system, there are at least three major channels:
1. The natural and nutritional.
2. Science and the medical arts.
3. Divine, supernatural healing.
Each of these areas are valuable and much dissertation can be done to expound on each of these separately. But, the focus of this teaching is to highlight the variety of means God uses in the divine, supernatural approach.
Primary Verses on Healing
The following are some of the classic Scripture verses on healing that one should study, learn and meditate upon.
1. Exodus 15:26, “If you will give earnest heed to the voice of the LORD your God, and do what is right in His sight, and give ear to His commandments, and keep all His statutes, I will put none of the diseases on you which I have put upon the Egyptians; for I, the LORD, AM YOUR HEALER.”
2. Psalm 103:1-5, “Bless the LORD, O my soul, and all that is within me, bless His holy Name. Bless the LORD, O my soul, and forget none of His benefits; Who pardons all your iniquities; Who heals all your diseases; Who redeems your life from the pit; Who crowns you with lovingkindness and compassion; Who satisfies your years with good things, so that your youth is renewed like the eagle.”
3. Isaiah 53:5, “But He was pierced through for our transgressions, He was crushed for our iniquities; the chastening for our well-being fell upon Him, and by His scourging we are healed.”
4. I Peter 2:24, “And He Himself bore our sins in His body on the Cross, that we might die to sin and live to righteousness; for by His wounds you were healed.”
5. Matthew 8:16-17, “When evening had come, they brought to Him many who were demon-possessed; and He cast out the spirits with a word, and healed all who were ill. This was to fulfill what was spoken through Isaiah the prophet: ‘He Himself took our infirmities, and carried away our diseases.'”
6. Mark 16:16-17, “These signs will accompany those who have believed: in My name they will cast out demons, they will speak with new tongues; they will pick up serpents, and if they drink any deadly poison, it will not hurt them; they will lay hands on the sick, and they will recover.”
7. I Corinthians 12:9, “…and to another the gifts of healing by the one Spirit.”
8. James 5:14-15, “Is anyone among you sick? Let him call for the elders of the church, and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord; and the prayer offered in faith will restore the one who is sick, and the Lord will raise him up, and if he has committed sins, they will be forgiven him.”
Communion – The Lord’s Supper
Read: I Corinthians 11:27-34. God has, to a larger degree, bound our physical well-being to our ability to relate spiritually to the “flesh and bone” aspect of Christ.
Read: Romans 6:3-6; Mark 16:16. Perhaps some Believers have never experienced freedom in habitual patterns of sin because they’ve never identified with the death, burial, and resurrection of Christ through a New Testament water baptism. This is not an option and is commandment of Scripture that should be fulfilled.
Calling for the Elders and Anointing with Oil
Read: James 5:14,15; Mark 6:13. Be prepared to act on God’s Word! Be ready to obey God’s Word and anoint with oil the sick, acting in faith as you release the Holy Spirit’s anointing.
Laying on of Hands and Prayer by Believers in General
Read: Mark 16:16-18; Matthew 19:15. All Believers have as their prerogative to believe God’s Word and pray for the sick through the laying on of hands. God is looking for hands to use.
Can the Lord work through your hands?
By the Spoken Word
Read: Luke 7:1-10. The greatest faith, according to Jesus, rests solely in the “Word.”
There were three types of people who came to Jesus for healing:
1. Those who came for personal healing.
2. Those who brought someone else for healing.
3. Those who came for someone else, but only sought the word of Jesus, stating they would be healed.
Jesus’ Garments; Peter’s Shadow
“And wherever He went—into villages, towns or countryside—they placed the sick in the marketplaces. They begged Him to let them touch even the edge of His cloak, and all who touched Him were healed.”—Mark 6:56
“As a result, people brought the sick into the streets and laid them on beds and mats so that at least Peter’s shadow might fall on some of them as he passed by. Crowds gathered also from the towns around Jerusalem, bringing their sick and those tormented by evil spirits, and all of them were healed.”—Acts 5:15,16
These formed a “point of contact” for the one in need. The Lord will use such “tools” with us as we are led by the present tense voice of the Holy Spirit.
Handkerchiefs and Aprons from Paul
“God did extraordinary miracles through Paul, so that even handkerchiefs and aprons that had touched him were taken to the sick, and their illnesses were cured and the evil spirits left them.”—Acts 19:11-12
Notice that these were called “special/extraordinary miracles.” They were done this way either by revelation or because there was no other way for Paul to contact them.
Levels of the Operation
There are various levels of operations, such as the Gifts of Healing and Working of Miracles. See the Study Guide on Releasing Spiritual Gifts for more on this subject.
1. Instantaneous – Matthew 8:3; Mark 1:31
2. Gradual – John 4:52; Mark 8:22-25
“Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective.”—James 5:16
Confess your faults to another and experience cleansing and healing. This opens a gate of humility, and thus God’s grace appears on the scene.
Healing Release through Angelic Activity
“Now there is in Jerusalem by the sheep gate a pool, which is called in Hebrew Bethesda, having five porticoes. In these lay a multitude of those who were sick, blind, lame, and withered, waiting for the moving of the waters; for an angel of the Lord went down at certain seasons into the pool and stirred up the water; whoever then first, after the stirring up of the water, stepped in was made well from whatever disease with which he was afflicted.
“A man was there who had been ill for thirty-eight years. When Jesus saw him lying there, and knew that he had already been a long time in that condition, He said to him, ‘Do you wish to get well?’
“The sick man answered Him, ‘Sir, I have no man to put me into the pool when the water is stirred up, but while I am coming, another steps down before me.'”—John 5:2-7
Many Valid Healing Styles
Soaking Prayer Approach
“They came to Bethsaida, and some people brought a blind man and begged Jesus to touch him. He took the blind man by the hand and led him outside the village. When He had spit on the man’s eyes and put His hands on him, Jesus asked, ‘Do you see anything?’
“He looked up and said, ‘I see people; they look like trees walking around.’ Once more Jesus put His hands on the man’s eyes. Then his eyes were opened, his sight was restored, and he saw everything clearly. Jesus sent him home, saying, ‘Don’t go into the village.'”—Mark 8:22-26
Bringing the presence of God into an individual’s life over an extended period of time and seeing progressive healing occur through the patient process is often termed “soaking prayer.”
Five Stage Healing Model
This is an integrated approach to healing which involves a dialogue-prayer combination as taught in the book, Power Healing, by John Wimber.
This Five Stage technique is presented in full in Lesson Three in my Study Guide on The Healing Anointing.
1. By the faith of healer—the one ministering.
2. By the faith of individual—coming with the need.
3. By the faith by others who bring the one in need.
4. By exercising faith in the Word of God expressed through prayer to God alone.
Acting Out Specific Directions
This might be by putting fingers in ears, placing mud in the eye, or telling someone to dip in the pool as Jesus did. In this manner we wait to get specific direction and then “Listen and obey.”
“Slain in the Spirit”
Resting in the Spirit, overcome by power, the “glory fall,” etc. Many different terms have historically been used to describe this overwhelming experience.
This experience is when one gently or powerfully “falls in the Spirit” into a resting position where God’s presence and healing moves upon your being.
“Lengthening of Legs and Arms”
There are numerous and various healing techniques that may be utilized and which may authentically release the power of God to flow into an individual. This may include simply sitting a person in a chair and asking the Lord to give a Holy Spirit chiropractic adjustment, as He adjusts and repositions or heals the leg or arm.
Being Open—Not Closed—A Great Key
We Must Learn to be Faithful
Be faithful in the little we presently receive—stepping out in faith that a greater increase of His anointing will come (Luke 16:10-12).
We Must Drop Our Prejudices
We must drop our prejudices against particular streams, styles, and techniques. Let’s not strain at a gnat and swallow a religious camel!
Let’s Always be Christ-Centered
Let’s always be Christ-centered, giving praise and honor to the glorious Lord Jesus Christ, and lift up the One who suffered on our behalf. Remember the lesson of Numbers 21:6-9. Whoever looked at the bronze serpent upon the standard lived. Let us lift up Christ and cause people to look to Him!
Remember, ultimately, it is not the “healing techniques or models of delivery systems” that bring God’s cure to bear. It is the person and presence of Jesus as it says in Matthew 4:23: “And Jesus was going throughout all Galilee, teaching in their synagogues and proclaiming the Gospel of the Kingdom, and healing every kind of disease and every kind of sickness…”
Amen! Let God’s Healing Anointing flow through His many different delivery systems in Jesus’ name!
Thanks for Praying and Caring!
James W. Goll
Encounters Network and PrayerStorm
This article reprinted by permission from