“I will make Jerusalem an immovable rock for all the nations.
All who try to move it will injure themselves,” Zech 12: 3
DEPUTY FOREIGN MINISTER TO TRUMP: DON’T DIVIDE JERUSALEM: Deputy Foreign Minister Tzipi Hotovely, followed by a large security detail, strode through the Lion’s Gate into the Old City of Jerusalem last week. “The soldiers walked into this place after 2,000 years of expulsion,” she said in an interview with an Israeli daily. “I come from the generation where a united Jerusalem is a fact.” Looking ahead to US President Donald Trump’s visit to Israel and the 50th anniversary of the Six Day War, Hotovely said Trump should abstain from efforts to allow a Palestinian capital in east Jerusalem. “First of all, move the US Embassy,” Hotovely said while touring the Old City. “We are expecting that moving the embassy is a symbol of the fact that Jerusalem should be recognized as the united capital of Israel.” Trump faces an expiring presidential waiver on 1 June 2017 that overrides a 1995 law mandating the US Embassy move from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem. The waiver has been extended since the Clinton administration, citing US national security concerns. Hotovely stated that dividing Jerusalem “is definitely not a good idea, even if it was practically possibly,” and argued that Israeli control of the city “is the only way to make sure that everyone feels comfortable and safe.” PM Netanyahu issued similar statements on Thursday. “It’s fitting that all the embassies – first and foremost that of our friend the United States – will be relocated to Jerusalem, which is their natural place,” he said. (J.Post) Pray according to God’s promise: “For the scepter of wickedness shall not rest on the land allotted to the righteous,” Ps 125:3
ISRAELI OFFICER INJURED, ASSAILANT KILLED IN JERUSALEM OLD CITY ATTACK ON SHABBAT: A Jordanian citizen was shot and killed after he stabbed an Israeli police officer near Jerusalem’s Old City on Saturday 13 May 2017. The attack shut down the Old City for hours on a busy day for tourists, leaving many confined to certain spots within the Old City for a few hours. A 57-year-old Jordanian citizen who entered Israel several days ago, carried out the attack, Israeli media reported. The police officer was treated at the hospital for his injuries. He was wounded in his neck, head and hands. He has remained conscious and in stable condition. Security camera footage released by the police shows the officer walking by when he is violently assaulted by a man with a knife. The two scuffle on the ground until the assailant, who had been on top of the officer making stabbing motions, is shot. While Israel expected Jordan to condemn the attack, instead the Jordanian government called the officer’s shooting of his attacker “a heinous crime,” and demanded an investigation. (Kehila News)
NETANYAHU: JORDAN IS PLAYING BOTH SIDES OF THE GAME: Israeli PM Binyamin Netanyahu slammed Jordan’s response to Saturday’s 13 May 2017, terror attack. “It is outrageous to hear the Jordanian government’s speaker support the terror attack which occurred today in Jerusalem’s Old City,” Netanyahu’s said. “The security video clearly shows a Jordanian tourist stabbing an Israeli policeman with a knife. It’s time Jordan stopped playing both sides of the game. Just like Israel condemns terror attacks in Jordan, Jordan must condemn terror attacks in Israel. Terror is terror.” Jordanian Minister of State Affairs Mohammed al-Momani said it was a “crime” to kill the terrorist, and that Jordan demanded Israel explain the act. (Arutz-7)
PA MEDIA BLAMES JERUSALEM ATTACK ON THE VICTIM: The Palestinian Authority’s (PA) official news agency WAFA provided an alternative take on the weekend terrorist attack at the Lions Gate in the Old City of Jerusalem, in which a Jordanian terrorist stabbed and wounded a police officer before being shot and killed. The report laid blame for the attack on the Israeli officer, portraying him as a “racist” and “violent” individual, while claiming the terrorist was an innocent man. “A 57-year-old Jordanian citizen was killed on Saturday afternoon by the [so called] Israeli occupation forces in one of the gates of Old Jerusalem, on the grounds that he stabbed an officer in the occupation police,” was the language used by WAFA in reporting the attack. A WAFA reporter said the “forces of the occupation” shut down access to two gates in the Old City while “army and police reinforcements arrived and attacked the residents prior to the arrest of a young man.” The news agency did not present any evidence for the claims made by the “eyewitnesses” it cited. The PA has not condemned the attack. (Arutz-7)
MIKE PENCE: ISIS IS GUILTY OF GENOCIDE AGAINST CHRISTIANS: The Trump administration is raising alarms about the ISIS committing genocide against Christians, a conclusion that President Obama’s team reached reluctantly only last year. In a speech late last week that didn’t receive much press attention in Washington, Vice President Mike Pence told the World Summit in Defense of Persecuted Christians that atrocities are being committed against Christians across the Middle East, from Egypt to Syria to Iraq. “The practitioners of terror harbor a special hatred for the followers of Christ, and none more so than the barbarians known as ISIS,” Mr. Pence said. “That brutal regime shows a savagery unseen in the Middle East since the Middle Ages. And I believe ISIS is guilty of nothing short of genocide against people of the Christian faith, and it is time the world called it by name.” The vice president also said President Trump won’t stand for the persecution of Christians. “He’s made it clear that America will stand by followers of Christ in this hour of need,” Mr. Pence said. “Our administration is fully committed in bringing relief and comfort to believers not only across the Middle East but across the world. This president knows the terrorists will not stop until we stop them. And under President Donald Trump, we will stop them.”
Mr. Pence said the Christian faith “is under siege” around the world. “Throughout the world, no people of faith today face greater hostility or hatred than the followers of Christ,” he said. “In more than 100 countries spread to every corner of the globe – from Iran to Eritrea, Nigeria to North Korea – over 215 million Christians confront intimidation, imprisonment, forced conversion, abuse, assault, or worse, for holding to the truths of the Gospel. The vice president said Mr. Trump “sees these crimes for what they are: vile acts of persecution animated by hatred – hatred for the Gospel of Christ.” He said Mr. Trump also knows who is committing the crimes. “He calls them by name – radical Islamic terrorists,” Mr. Pence said to applause. “From al Qaeda to al Shabaab, from Boko Haram to the Taliban, these extremist groups seek to stamp out all religions that are not their own. And believers from every background have suffered grievously at their hands.” (Wash. Times) “For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind.” 2 Tim 1:7
JEWISH, CATHOLIC HEADSTONES DAMAGED IN MAIN ROME CEMETERY: Unidentified individuals damaged dozens of gravestones and memorials in both the Catholic and Jewish sections of one of Rome’s main cemeteries. The damage was discovered Friday 12 May 2017 during an inspection before the Verano cemetery opened. The culprits smashed or toppled crosses as well as Stars of David and damaged headstones, tombs, vases and memorial plaques. Newspaper reports said surveillance cameras had filmed several youths entering the cemetery during the night and then running through it smashing tombs. Elsewhere in Europe, a synagogue’s window was smashed last week in North London. A group of youths was seen fleeing the scene. Separately, a monument commemorating the Holocaust in Chernivtsi in Southwestern Ukraine was defaced with neo-Nazi slogans. The incident took place on 11 May 2017. On a wall adjacent to the monument, the culprits, who have not been identified, painted swastikas and the neo-Nazi greeting “sieg”. Last week, several gravestones were desecrated at a Jewish cemetery in Cherkasy in central Ukraine. The vandals spray-painted swastikas on 10 headstones. (JTA)
CONVICTED MURDERER OF SIX ISRAELIS ELECTED AS PALESTINIAN MAYOR OF HEBRON: Tayseer Abu Sneineh, the convicted murderer of six Israelis, was elected mayor of the Judea & Samaria city of Hebron on 13 May 2017 as head of the Fatah Party list. Abu Sneineh was one of four Palestinians behind the murder of six Israeli yeshiva students in 1980. The students, including two American citizens and a Canadian national, were part of a group that had danced from the Cave of the Patriarchs to Beit Hadassah in Hebron when Abu Sneineh and his terror cell opened fire. The six students were killed and 16 others were wounded. The Palestinians were convicted of murder and sentenced to life in prison but were later released in various prisoner exchanges Israel carried out throughout the 1980s. In response to the election, deputy head of the Shomron Regional Council Davidi Ben Sion called on President Donald Trump to cancel his planned meeting with PA President Mahmoud Abbas. “No one is surprised that the Palestinian Authority educates for murder, encourages terrorism and that the murderers are their cultural heroes and the leaders of their younger generation,” Ben Sion said. “So what’s new? (J. Post)
The suggestions, opinions and scripture references made by JNN writers and editors are based on the best information received.
Blessings from Jerusalem,
Barry Segal with the Editorial Staff